With over two decades of experience in all aspects of corporate, transactional, and commercial litigation work, Doug has a primary emphasis on business and intellectual property consultation and litigation. Doug has served as lead counsel on more than fifty cases involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, false advertising, e-commerce applications, domain name disputes, and breach of contract. Doug also serves as primary outside counsel for a leading medical device company.
Doug’s experience includes counseling clients on business and intellectual property matters in a diverse range of industries, including medical devices, healthcare, industrial control equipment, video signal enhancement, 3G, cellular telephone, jet engine, machine and consumer tools, construction equipment, e-commerce applications, and computer implemented control systems. Doug was a key member of a trial team that successfully litigated and licensed a family of patents in video display enhancement technology, achieving settlements and licenses with companies such as Hewlett-Packard, Sony, Apple, Dell, Toshiba, Microsoft, and Google. Doug was also part of a four-person trial team that achieved a multi-million dollar willful patent infringement verdict in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
As part of his practice, Doug assists clients in formulating strategies for the enforcement, defense and management of clients’ intellectual property portfolios that are tailored for each technology and industry. In addition, Doug assists clients in creating and negotiating business agreements and contracts, including drafting contracts and agreements, negotiating licenses and settlements, and litigating all phases of commercial litigation, including pre-trial discovery, trials, and appeals. Doug is a member of the Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association and barrister in the Western District of Pennsylvania Intellectual Property Inn of Court.
A registered patent attorney, Doug spent the first eleven years of his career in Chicago, IL, where he practiced at one of the leading boutique law firms in the country – The Niro Firm. While there, he gained tremendous experience in working with small and mid-sized companies to formulate strategies for the management, enforcement, defense, and monetization, of clients’ intellectual property portfolios and business assets covering a wide range of technologies and industries.
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, Doug now resides in Upper St. Clair with his wife and two daughters.
- Part of four-person trial team that achieved a $90 million willful patent infringement verdict in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Part of four-person trial team that successfully litigated and licensed a family of patents in video display enhancement technology. Filed lawsuits in Illinois, Pennsylvania, Texas, and California against numerous Silicon Valley and Fortune 500 companies. Achieved settlements and licenses in excess of $80 million.
- Lead counsel in successful trademark and trade dress litigation in the District of Massachusetts regarding the packaging and advertising of gummy candies. Received a favorable monetary and injunction settlement after a lengthy mediation with the Court.
- Lead counsel in successful false advertising claim against a medical device manufacturer in the Western District of Pennsylvania regarding competing dental imaging products. Received a favorable injunction settlement after the hearing.
- Lead counsel defending a leading steel manufacturer of trademark violations and domain name theft under the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. Conducted fact discovery and depositions and reached a favorable settlement.
- Lead counsel in successful trademark and e-commerce dispute in the Western District of Pennsylvania regarding unauthorized use of an e-commerce retailers’ trademarks in Google ads and in the metadata on a competitor’s website. Took discovery and reached a favorable injunction settlement.
- Lead trial counsel in copyright infringement action involving the digital millennium copyright act and the only existing concurrent photograph from the 9/11 plane crash in Somerset, PA. Successfully defeated summary judgment motions after lengthy discovery process. Case successfully settled on the eve of trial.
- Lead counsel in successful patent infringement litigation for leading nuclear power plant manufacturer related to nuclear power patent technology.
- Lead counsel in successfully defending against patent infringement action involving medical device technology.
- Successfully represented OEM in Global use of OEM trademarks and slogans related to water filtration systems.
Admitted and practiced Pro-Hac Vice in the following Courts:
Eastern District of Virginia Southern District of New York District of Massachusetts District of Delaware District of Tennessee Southern District of Ohio Northern District of California Southern District of California Eastern District of Texas Southern District of Florida Western District of Washington Southern District of Nevada Eastern District of Louisiana Western District of North Carolina District of Arizona