He has trial experience in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, and in the Court of International Trade, and has also handled AAA arbitrations. His appellate experience includes arguing before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Greg is a continuing legal education lecturer.
Greg is Founder and President of Law Office Spaces Mt. Lebanon, an innovative legal community, bringing a special variety of workspace sharing for attorneys in the Pittsburgh market.
- Served as outside general counsel to several companies, assisting with evaluating, prioritizing and addressing a wide variety of legal needs;
- Assisted with new business formation and negotiating and drafting agreements and policies;
- Litigated on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in contract disputes over issues such as material breach, mitigation, damages and the economic loss doctrine in many cases such as those involving software development, sale of goods, insurance and high-stakes real estate transactions;
- Successfully litigated multi-million-dollar Customs matters against the U.S. government, through trial and appeals and obtained a $775,000 attorney fee award;
- Represented owners, contractors and architects in construction litigation involving scope of work, extra work, quality of work and delay damages, ranging from small matters to multi-million dollar disputes;
- Successfully arbitrated on behalf of a metal fabricator against its customer to recover storage fees in excess of $100,000 in a UCC “Battle of the Forms” case.
- Handled a variety of employee benefits disputes over benefits eligibility and calculation, fiduciary duties, disclosure requirements, preemption, prohibited transactions, qualified domestic relations orders, attorney fee awards and civil penalties (in the area of employment law);
- Represented employers in suits involving theft of trade secrets and breach of noncompetition agreements, alleged racial and gender discrimination and sexual harassment;
- Assisted companies with drafting and revising employee handbooks, compensation policies and severance agreements;
- Litigated automobile dealership termination matters before the Pennsylvania State Board of Vehicle Manufacturing Dealers and Salespersons;
- Represented product manufacturers and sellers in significant product liability litigation involving medical devices and industrial machinery;
- Defended claims alleging liability for harm caused by toxic exposures, including claims alleging harm caused by asbestos.
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1994, cum laude
B.S., Computer Science, Kings College, 1991, magna cum laude
Special RecognitionAttained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
Named a Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney by Super Lawyers
Selected for the King’s College Alumni Award for Service to Society, 2008
Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania’s “Lawyers on the Fast Track,” American Lawyer Media, 2006
U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
U.S. District Courts for the Western and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of International Trade
Allegheny County, West Virginia and Pennsylvania Bar Associations
Chair of the Allegheny County Bar Association’s Sole and Small Firm Practitioners Section
President, Pittsburgh Federalist Society
Barrister and Pupilage Group Leader, Honorable Amy Hay Chapter of American Inns of Court
Board Member, Christian Legal Society, Western Pennsylvania Chapter
Chair of the Legal Advisory Committee for Patient Advocates for Advanced Cancer Treatments (“PAACT”)
Elder serving on Session and Clerk of Session, Bellefield Presbyterian Church
Chair of Legal Action Committee of Board, Libertarian Party of Pennsylvania
Served as a board member, legal adviser and volunteer for Rainbow Kitchen Community Services
Allegheny County Bar Association pro bono custody conciliations
- “Ethical challenges in a billable-hour environment” Lawyers Journal (a publication of the Allegheny County Bar Association), November 10, 2017
- “The value of social media tools for legal marketing,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, Spring 2010.
- “Board of Vehicles Act: Major revision of Board of Vehicles Act signed into law,” co-authored with Hap Campbell, Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, November 2009. Also published in the Lawyers Journal, A publication of the Allegheny Bar Association, November 2009.
- “Lien Law Changes Plainly Favor Contractors – At a Cost to Developers,” Pittsburgh Business Times, January 2007.
- “Reasonable and Uniform Rates for Water, Sewer, and Other Services: What Pennsylvania Law Allows and Requires,” WaterWorld.com and WaterWorld Magazine, 2003.
- “ERISA Denial of Benefits” chapter in the Defense Research Institute’s Young Lawyers’ Formbook, 2002, 2008.
- “Major Revision of Board of Vehicles Act Underway,” Pittsburgh Legal Journal, 1996.
- “Advanced Business Contracts: Secrets Only the Top Attorneys Know” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, November 29, 2018
- “Cross-Examination and Redirect — Focus on Experts and Evidence” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, April 20, 2018.
- “Fiduciary Duties Under State Law” and “Legal Ethics: Conflicts of Interest, Confidentiality and More” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, July 26, 2017.
- “ADA Interactive Process” and “Independent Contractor vs. Employee” presentations at the Human Resource Management Association of North Central PA’s “Legal Forum,” March 16, 2017.
- “Drafting Tips to Circumvent Disputes,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, October 4, 2016.
- “Business Contracts: Top 5 Most Costly Mistakes,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, June 8, 2016.
- “Closing/Post-Trial Motions” presented to the Honorable Amy Reynolds Hay Chapter of the American Inns of Court, April 21, 2016.
- “Business Transactions: Start to Finish,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, April 5, 2016.
- “Ethical Challenges in a Billable Hour Environment,” presentation at the Christian Legal Society National Conference, October 3, 2015.
- “Advanced Business Contracts,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, June 17, 2015.
- “Same Sex Marriage/Marijuana: Update on the Law” presented to the Honorable Amy Reynolds Hay Chapter of the American Inns of Court, November 20, 2014.
- “Books all Lawyers Should Read to Improve their Practices” presented to the Honorable Amy Reynolds Hay Chapter of the American Inns of Court, April 17, 2014.
- “Pleadings and Evidentiary Issues in Federal Court,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, March 28, 2014.
- “Cyberlaw Update: from Hacking Back to Government Attack!” presented to the Steel City Information Security Group, hosted at the corporate headquarters of American Eagle Outfitters, October 10, 2013.
- “Ethical Challenges in a Billable Hour Environment,” presentation to the Christian Legal Society, April 11, 2013.
- “Hot Topics in Class Actions,” presentation to the Honorable Amy Reynolds Hay Chapter of the American Inns of Court, March 21, 2013.
- “Advanced Commercial Landlord-Tenant Law,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, March 19, 2012.
- “All the Ethics You Need in One Hour,” presentation to the Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors, March 10, 2012.
- “The Rough and Tumble World of Motions in Limine,” a CLE presentation to American Inns of Court, the Honorable Amy Reynolds Hay Chapter, January 19, 2012.
- “Accounting 101 for Attorneys,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, December 14, 2011.
- “Expert Witnesses: Best Practices,” a CLE presentation to American Inns of Court, the Honorable Amy Reynolds Hay Chapter, January 20, 2011.
- “The upside of using social media sites for professional marketing,” a CLE presentation to American Inns of Court, Pittsburgh Chapter, January 21, 2010.
- “ERISA equitable remedies,” presentation at ACI’s ERISA Litigation CLE seminar in New York City, October 19, 2009.
- “Structuring Your Company” presentation at TiE-Pittsburgh (The Indus Entrepreneurs) Entrepreneur’s Base Camp event at Carnegie Mellon University, October 3, 2009.
- “Avoiding UCC Mistakes in Business Transactions,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, February 25, 2009.
- “e-Commerce: Legal and Practical Issues,” co-presented with Michael D. Ecker to the CSO Breakfast Club, January 29, 2009.
- “e-Discovery Dilemmas,” presentation to American Inns of Court, Pittsburgh Chapter, November 20, 2008.
- “ERISA Litigation,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, June 25, 2008.
- “eDiscovery/Litigation Hold: Legal Changes and Impacts to IT Organizations,” webinar presented with Allied InfoSecurity, June 21, 2007.
- “Using a Mechanic’s Lien to Get Your Money,” presentation at the National Business Institute CLE Seminar, December 5, 2006.
- “Landlord and Tenant Law in Pennsylvania,” presentation at the Lorman Educational Services CLE Seminar, May 31, 2001.
- “FLYING SOLO: Experienced solo, small-firm practitioners share insights on striking out on your own” quoted Lawyers Journal (a pulication of the Allegheny County Bar Association), November 10, 2017
- “Federal Circuit Affirms Atty Fees For White Sauce Importer,” quoted, Law360, December 16, 2016
- “Court Says Customs Erred by Reclassifying White Sauce Without Notice and Comment,” quoted, Bloomberg BNA’s International Trade Daily Bulletin, April 15, 2014.
- “Customs Wrongly Reclassified Sauce Imports, Fed. Circ. Says,” quoted, Law360, April 14, 2014.
- “US white sauce importer seeks to remedy Customs’ ruling in a ‘tragic case’,” quoted, MLex, February 7, 2014.
- “Money, CBP Flexibility Concerns Fueled Contentious ICP Case on Notices of Action and Ruling Letters,” International Trade Today, Vol. 28 No. 240 — Thursday, December 13, 2012.